PompeiiinPictures

VIII.6.1 Pompeii. Bakery and House of P. Aemilius Gallicus?

Linked to VIII.6.9, VIII.6.10 and VIII.6.11. Excavated 1819, 1881.

 

VIII.6.1, 8, 9, 10 and 11 combined plans

 

VIII.6.1 Pompeii. December 2004. Entrance corridor, looking north.  On entering the entrance corridor immediately from the roadway, this lead to the bakery, where the sub-structures for the four mills can be seen with flooring around them for the mules The walls were painted simply in the last style, with red and yellow compartments. See BdI, 1884, p.137, where the entrance is described as N. [7-9]

VIII.6.1 Pompeii. December 2004. Entrance corridor, looking north. 

On entering the entrance corridor immediately from the roadway, this leads to the bakery, where the sub-structures for the four mills can be seen with flooring around them for the mules

The walls were painted simply in the last style, with red and yellow compartments.

See BdI, 1884, p.137, where the entrance is described as N. [7-9]

 

VIII.6.1 Pompeii. September 2005. Entrance corridor, looking south from inside, towards Vicolo della Regina, and doorway opposite of VIII.2.29.

VIII.6.1 Pompeii. September 2005.

Entrance corridor, looking south from inside, towards Vicolo della Regina, and doorway opposite of VIII.2.29.

 

According to NdS,

“Dell' isola situata a mezzo giorno della 5, e che per la ragione esposta di sopra sarà da ora innanzi 6, è tornata a luce un'abitazione, avente l'ingresso sul vicolo meridionale, e il cui atrio fu adibito come pistrinum. Per l'androne, fiancheggiato da un cubicolo a sinistra e dal panificium a destra, si entra nell'area delle macine, che ha sul lato est il forno ed una località piuttosto angusta, contenente due catilli, sormontati ciascuno da una vasca di terracotta rivestita internamento di piombo.  Sull'orlo di ambedue queste vasche, rinvenute frammentate il 28 febbraio, si legge il bollo: (vedi p.196, Bull. Inst, 1878, e p.281, NdS, 1882).

Ved. Bullettino dell’Instituto di Corrispondenza Archeologica (DAIR), 1878, p.196.

Ved. Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1882, p.281.

 

Sul lato ovest è un'altra rozza località, comunicante con la cucina, alla quale si entra anche dall'area delle macine. In fondo trovasi il tablino; che avendo un ingresso angusto, e comunicando a destra con un'ampia stanza, serviva di passaggio al peristilio, giacché la fauce venne murata dalla parte dell' atrio e adibita per apotheca. Il peristilio, riserbato all'abitazione del padrone, ha nel mezzo il viridario, cinto da portico, che poggiava sopra sei colonne rivestite di stucco ed incastrate in un podio di fabbrica. Nel centro dell'area destinata ai fiori, è una riquadratura di marmi colorati con cornice di marmo bianco, e presso la colonna angolare nord-ovest sta un puteal di travertino. Sotto al portico orientale si trovano un'apotheca e uno spazioso triclinio; nell'ambulacro sud dopo la fauce, che come si è detto fu murata nel fondo, hanno l'ingresso due cubicoli: sul lato ovest è una seconda entrata dal vicolo occidentale, e finalmente a settentrione sono situate, in un livello alquanto superiore quattro stanze, di cui l'ultima ha il pavimento sprofondato.

 

Su questo stesso lato è l'adito di una gradinata, per cui si discende a parecchie celle sottoposte, alle quali si accede anche per due ingressi nel vicolo nord. In una di tali celle si rinvennero il 17 marzo, presso uno scheletro di donna, vari oggetti d'oro. Dallo scavo dell'abitazione ora descritta, venne fuori l'8 febbraio un pezzo rettangolare di piombo, portante la marca:

P • AEMILI • GALLICI • “

 

(translation: “Of the insula situated to the south of 5, which will now be called 6, a dwelling has come to light which had its entrance doorway on the southern vicolo, and whose atrium had been adapted as a “pistrinum”. Entering by the entrance corridor, flanked by a bedroom on the left, and the “bakery” to the right, one enters into the area of the Millstones with the oven on the east side, and a narrow area containing two “catilli” (upper millstones), each topped by a terracotta tub/tank coated inside with lead. On the edge of both of these tanks, which were found in fragments on the 28th February, one could read a mark:

See Bullettino dell’Instituto di Corrispondenza Archeologica (DAIR), 1878, p.196.

See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1882, p.281.

 

On the west side is another rustic locality, communicating with the kitchen, with which one could also enter from the area of the millstones. At the rear was the tablinum, which had a narrow doorway and was linked on the right with a wide room, it had served as a passageway to the peristyle, as the fauces (corridor) was blocked off from part of the atrium and used as a storeroom. The peristyle, reserved for the owner’s dwelling, had a garden in the centre surrounded by a portico with six columns coated with stucco and embedded into a masonry podium. In the centre of the area used for flowers, was a squaring of coloured marble with a white marble frame, and towards the north-west corner column was a travertine puteal. Under the east portico was a storeroom and a spacious triclinium: in the south walkway after the fauces, which as we have already said was blocked at the rear, were the doorways to two bedrooms: on the west side was a second entrance from the western vicolo, and finally to the north are located four rooms, on a slightly higher level, of which the last had a collapsed floor.

 

On this side are the steps of a staircase by which one descended to several small rooms below, to which one could also gain access by two entrances in the northern vicolo. Found, in one of these rooms on the 17th March, near the skeleton of a woman, were various objects in gold. Found on the 8th February, from the excavation of this dwelling, was a rectangular piece of lead carrying the mark : P. AEMILI GALLICI”. )

 

See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1882, p.399.

 

Bullettino dell’Instituto di Corrispondenza Archeologica (DAIR), 1884, p.137, described as entrances 7-9.

Bullettino dell’Instituto di Corrispondenza Archeologica (DAIR), 1884, p.137, described as entrances 7-9.

 

Bullettino dell’Instituto di Corrispondenza Archeologica (DAIR), 1884, p.138.

Bullettino dell’Instituto di Corrispondenza Archeologica (DAIR), 1884, p.138.

 

Bullettino dell’Instituto di Corrispondenza Archeologica (DAIR), 1884, p.139.

Bullettino dell’Instituto di Corrispondenza Archeologica (DAIR), 1884, p.139.

 

 

Chronique des activités archéologiques de l’École française de Rome.

Les cités vésuviennes.

Pompéi, Pistrina

Recherches sur les boulangeries de l’Italie romaine – campagne 2013

Nicolas Monteix, Sanna Aho, Arnaud Coutelas, et Sandra Zanella.

 

Le matériel suivant est © Ecole française de Rome.
Utilisation soumise à
CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0
Voir
http://cefr.revues.org/1242

 

Merci à Nicolas Monteix et à ses collègues.

 

The following material is © Ecole française de Rome.

Use subject to CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0

See http://cefr.revues.org/1242

 

Our thanks to Nicolas Monteix and colleagues.

 

VIII 6, 1.9-11

 

Cette boulangerie n’a bénéficié que d’un rapide nettoyage afin de pouvoir en dresser le plan et de procéder au relevé du four (fig. 21-23).

 

Fig. 21 – Pompéi, boulangerie VIII 6, 1.9-11 – Vue générale de la salle des meules après son nettoyage.
Cliché : N. Monteix /EFR.

Fig. 21 – Pompéi, boulangerie VIII 6, 1.9-11 – Vue générale de la salle des meules après son nettoyage.

Cliché : N. Monteix /EFR.

 

Fig. 22 – Pompéi, boulangerie VIII 6, 1.9-11 – Plan de la boulangerie.
Relevé / dessin : N. Monteix - S. Mencarelli /EFR.

Fig. 22 – Pompéi, boulangerie VIII 6, 1.9-11 – Plan de la boulangerie.

Relevé / dessin : N. Monteix - S. Mencarelli /EFR.

 

 Fig. 23 – Pompéi, boulangerie VIII 6, 1.9-11 – Plan, façade et coupes du four.
Relevé / dessin : S. Mencarelli /EFR.

Fig. 23 – Pompéi, boulangerie VIII 6, 1.9-11 – Plan, façade et coupes du four.

Relevé / dessin : S. Mencarelli /EFR.

 

 

Ce dégagement de la terre accumulée a permis, au niveau du dallage de basalte, de mettre en évidence deux phases de développement de la mouture, avec une extension du nombre de meules de 3 à 4, avec l’ajout du quatrième moulin au nord-est. Par ailleurs, l’observation attentive du dallage des trois premières meules autorise également à souligner l’existence d’une zone simplement piquetée : elle n’a été que peu piétinée par les équidés et ne présente donc qu’une très faible usure (fig. 24). Cet état, observé à des degrés divers dans d’autres boulangeries permet, pour une fois, de mesurer l’espacement dans lequel les animaux se mouvaient autour des moulins, soit de 0,55 à 0,72 m.

 

L’usure la plus marquée a été observée autour de la meule nord-est dans l’atrium de la boulangerie V 3, 8, où le dallage présente actuellement un profil concave. La largeur minimale du dallage est de 0,53 m. En VII 2, 3.6-7, où l’usure est moindre, l’espace de circulation des équidés est varie de 0,54 à 0,64 m autour des moulins.

 

Fig. 24 – Pompéi, boulangerie VIII 6, 1.9-11 – Intersection du dallage des trois meules situées au sud-ouest de la salle. 
Un des blocs ne présente aucune usure mais seulement les traces de façonnage au pic, signe qu’il n’a pas été piétiné par le passage des équidés.
Cliché : N. Monteix /EFR.

Fig. 24 – Pompéi, boulangerie VIII 6, 1.9-11 – Intersection du dallage des trois meules situées au sud-ouest de la salle.

Un des blocs ne présente aucune usure mais seulement les traces de façonnage au pic, signe qu’il n’a pas été piétiné par le passage des équidés.

Cliché : N. Monteix /EFR.

 

Deux autres éléments nouveaux sont liés au four. Tout d’abord, un surcreusement a été observé en correspondance de la niche située sous l’autel (/table). Modifié à deux reprises, ce surcreusement profond de 7 cm devait faciliter le positionnement du fournier face à la bouche pour déposer les pâtons sur le fond de la sole puis y recueillir les pains après cuisson (fig. 25).

 

Fig. 25 – Pompéi, boulangerie VIII 6, 1.9-11 – Creusement en avant de l’autel (/table) permettant au fournier de s’approcher plus de la gueule du four.
Cliché : N. Monteix /EFR.

Fig. 25 – Pompéi, boulangerie VIII 6, 1.9-11 – Creusement en avant de l’autel (/table) permettant au fournier de s’approcher plus de la gueule du four.

Cliché : N. Monteix /EFR.

 

Cet aménagement pourrait amener à interpréter la niche dans son ensemble non comme un espace de stockage du combustible – le volume y est toujours par trop réduit –, mais comme une solution ergonomique pour faciliter l’approche du corps, autrement gêné par les pieds, vers le four. Le second élément, sans être une réelle nouveauté vu qu’il a déjà été observé en I 12, 1‑2, est l’utilisation d’une amphore de type Dressel 20 pour construire un réceptacle à l’eau issue du chauffe-eau disparu (fig. 26).

 

Fig. 26 – Pompéi, boulangerie VIII 6, 1.9-11 – Amphore utilisée comme réceptacle pour l’eau issue du chauffe-eau.
Cliché : S. De Rosa /EFR.

Fig. 26 – Pompéi, boulangerie VIII 6, 1.9-11 – Amphore utilisée comme réceptacle pour l’eau issue du chauffe-eau.

Cliché : S. De Rosa /EFR.

 

Le changement par rapport aux interprétations données jusqu’à présent, fondées sur l’exemple de la Casa dei casti amanti, tient à l’absence de système d’évacuation de l’eau : le fond de l’amphore n’est pas percé. Il s’agit donc d’un réceptacle destiné à conserver l’eau (tiède ?) plus longuement que dans le cas de la Casa dei casti amanti où l’eau semble avoir été évacuée presque immédiatement.

 

Pour citer cet article

Référence électronique

Nicolas Monteix, Sanna Aho, Arnaud Coutelas et Sandra Zanella, « Pompéi, Pistrina  », Chronique des activités archéologiques de l’École française de Rome [En ligne], Les cités vésuviennes, http://journals.openedition.org/cefr/1242

 

 

VIII.6.1.8.9.10.11 combined plans

 

 

 

The low resolution pictures on this site are copyright © of Jackie and Bob Dunn and MAY NOT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BE USED FOR GAIN OR REWARD COMMERCIALLY. On concession of the Ministero per i Beni e le Attività Culturali - Parco Archeologico di Pompei. It is declared that no reproduction or duplication can be considered legitimate without the written authorization of the Parco Archeologico di Pompei.

Le immagini fotografiche a bassa risoluzione pubblicate su questo web site sono copyright © di Jackie e Bob Dunn E NON POSSONO ESSERE UTILIZZATE, IN ALCUNA CIRCOSTANZA, PER GUADAGNO O RICOMPENSA COMMERCIALMENTE. Su concessione del Ministero per i Beni e le Attività Culturali - Parco Archeologico di Pompei. Si comunica che nessun riproduzione o duplicazione può considerarsi legittimo senza l'autorizzazione scritta del Parco Archeologico di Pompei.

Ultimo aggiornamento - Last updated: 18-Oct-2020 17:41