PompeiiinPictures

VI.16.40 Pompeii. Thermopolium. Excavated 1903.

 

VI.15 Pompeii. December 2007. Vicolo dei Vettii from Vicolo di Mercurio, looking north.VI.16.40 on right.

VI.15 Pompeii. December 2007. Vicolo dei Vettii from Vicolo di Mercurio, looking north.VI.16.40 on right.

 

VI.16.40 Pompeii. 1908 NdS excavation plan of VI.16.39 and VI.16.40. Room A is the stairs at entrance VI.16.39. Room B is the bar room and counter at the entrance to the thermopolium at VI.16.40. Rooms C and D were rooms for the use of the clients of the bar. Room E is a corridor leading to rooms F and G. Room F had a lararium painting. Room G is a corridor containing the latrine. (a) Is a small hearth on the end of the counter. (b) Is the latrine in room G. See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1908, p.360, fig.1.

VI.16.40 Pompeii. 1908 NdS excavation plan of VI.16.39 and VI.16.40.

Room A is the stairs at entrance VI.16.39.

Room B is the bar room and counter at the entrance to the thermopolium at VI.16.40.

Rooms C and D were rooms for the use of the clients of the bar.

Room E is a corridor leading to rooms F and G

Room F had a lararium painting

Room G is a corridor containing the latrine

(a) Is a small hearth on the end of the counter

(b) Is the latrine in room G

See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1908, p.360, fig.1.

 

VI.16.40 Pompeii. May 2005. Looking east towards entrance doorway and room B. According to NdS, the wide doorway had a threshold made of three pieces of lava. It had the usual notches for the boards and the lowering to the right for the movable shutter. It seemed the doorposts were coated with plaster, painted red. See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1908, p.368-370.

VI.16.40 Pompeii. May 2005. Looking east towards entrance doorway and room B.

According to NdS, the wide doorway had a threshold made of three pieces of lava.

It had the usual notches for the boards and the lowering to the right for the movable shutter.

It seemed the doorposts were coated with plaster, painted red.

See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1908, p.368-370.

 

VI.16.40 Pompeii. May 2005. Room B, looking east across counter towards two rear rooms C and D and a corridor E to rear, leading to rooms F and G. According to NdS, room B was the bar-room, around which were smaller rooms. Adjacent to the north wall, near the entrance doorway, was the two-sided masonry sales counter or podium. At the other end  in the centre of the bar-room, it ended with a kitchen oven (a), also in masonry. The external vertical surface of the sales counter was painted in red. The horizontal surface was decorated with embedded triangular slabs of marble and other shapes. Leaning against the north wall were the usual three small masonry steps, painted in red, to display the goods and housewares. The room was rather rustic.

At the east end of the north wall of the bar-room, near the doorway to room C, was a doorway to the area below the stairs at VI.16.39. Rooms C and D were rooms for the use of the clients of the bar. When excavated, the entrance doorposts on the left showed the imprint left by the timber. At the north end of room G, behind room C, was the latrine (b).

VI.16.40 Pompeii. May 2005.

Room B, looking east across counter towards two rear rooms C and D and a corridor E to rear, leading to rooms F and G.

According to NdS, room B was the bar-room, around which were smaller rooms.

Adjacent to the north wall, near the entrance doorway, was the two-sided masonry sales counter or podium.

At the other end in the centre of the bar-room, it ended with a kitchen oven (a), also in masonry.

The external vertical surface of the sales counter was painted in red.

The horizontal surface was decorated with embedded triangular slabs of marble and other shapes.

Leaning against the north wall were the usual three small masonry steps, painted in red, to display the goods and housewares.

The room was rather rustic.

At the east end of the north wall of the bar-room, near the doorway to room C, was a doorway to the area below the stairs at VI.16.39.

Rooms C and D were rooms for the use of the clients of the bar.

When excavated, the entrance doorposts on the left showed the imprint left by the timber.
At the north end of room G, behind room C, was the latrine (b).

 

VI.16.40 Pompeii. October 2001. Looking north-east across counter in bar-room towards rear rooms. Photo courtesy of Peter Woods.

VI.16.40 Pompeii. October 2001. Looking north-east across counter in bar-room towards rear rooms.

Photo courtesy of Peter Woods.

 

VI.16.40 Pompeii. May 2003. Looking east across room C. Photo courtesy of Nicolas Monteix.

VI.16.40 Pompeii. May 2003. Looking east across room C. Photo courtesy of Nicolas Monteix.

 

VI.16.40 Pompeii. May 2005. Looking south-east from entrance doorway towards corridor E on south side. The room F was lit by a window in the southern wall, and was reached by the corridor E. According to Boyce, in the room reached by the corridor leading from the bar-room, was a lararium painting. It was on a large panel on the west wall bordered with broad stripes, yellow at the sides, red at the top. Within were painted two serpents confronted at a cylindrical altar. The serpents were of a brownish colour and each had a red crest and beard, both larger on the one on the right. The altar was tiny in comparison with the serpents, and was painted in imitation of red and yellow marble. On the top of the altar were two eggs and a pine cone. Below the painted altar, a tile was embedded in the wall to hold the offerings. The background was profusely adorned with green plants and red flowers. Across the top of the panel was stretched a triple festoon, upon the middle of which perched a bird. See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1908, 370. See Boyce G. K., 1937. Corpus of the Lararia of Pompeii. Rome: MAAR 14. (p.59, no.230, and Pl.27,1)  See Fröhlich, T., 1991. Lararien und Fassadenbilder in den Vesuvstädten. Mainz: von Zabern. (L77, Picture 9,2 from the west and north walls)
.

VI.16.40 Pompeii. May 2005. Looking south-east from entrance doorway towards corridor E on south side.

The room F was lit by a window in the southern wall, and was reached by the corridor E.

 

VI.16.40 Pompeii. May 2003. Looking north-west across counter. Photo courtesy of Nicolas Monteix.

VI.16.40 Pompeii. May 2003. Looking north-west across counter. Photo courtesy of Nicolas Monteix.

 

VI.16.40 Pompeii. May 2003. Looking towards south wall of bar-room, and terracotta pot. Photo courtesy of Nicolas Monteix.

VI.16.40 Pompeii. May 2003. Looking towards south wall of bar-room, and terracotta pot.

Photo courtesy of Nicolas Monteix.

 

VI.16.40 Pompeii. May 2013. Room F, with lararium on west wall. Photo courtesy of Paula Lock.

VI.16.40 Pompeii. May 2013. Room F, with lararium on west wall. Photo courtesy of Paula Lock.

 

VI.16.40 Pompeii. July 2008. Room F, lararium on west wall. Photo courtesy of Barry Hobson.
According to Boyce, in the room F reached by the corridor (E) leading from the bar-room, was a lararium painting. It was on a large panel on the west wall bordered with broad stripes, yellow at the sides, red at the top. Within were painted two serpents confronted at a cylindrical altar. The serpents were of a brownish colour and each had a red crest and beard, both larger on the one on the right. The altar was tiny in comparison with the serpents, and was painted in imitation of red and yellow marble. On the top of the altar were two eggs and a pine cone. Below the painted altar, a tile was embedded in the wall to hold the offerings. The background was profusely adorned with green plants and red flowers. Across the top of the panel was stretched a triple festoon, upon the middle of which perched a bird.
See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1908, 370.
See Boyce G. K., 1937. Corpus of the Lararia of Pompeii. Rome: MAAR 14. (p.59, no.230, and Pl.27,1) 
See Fröhlich, T., 1991. Lararien und Fassadenbilder in den Vesuvstädten. Mainz: von Zabern. (L77, Picture 9,2 from the west and north walls)

VI.16.40 Pompeii. July 2008. Room F, lararium on west wall. Photo courtesy of Barry Hobson.

According to Boyce, in the room F reached by the corridor (E) leading from the bar-room, was a lararium painting.

It was on a large panel on the west wall bordered with broad stripes, yellow at the sides, red at the top.

Within were painted two serpents confronted at a cylindrical altar.

The serpents were of a brownish colour and each had a red crest and beard, both larger on the one on the right.

The altar was tiny in comparison with the serpents, and was painted in imitation of red and yellow marble.

On the top of the altar were two eggs and a pine cone.

Below the painted altar, a tile was embedded in the wall to hold the offerings.

The background was profusely adorned with green plants and red flowers.

Across the top of the panel was stretched a triple festoon, upon the middle of which perched a bird.

See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1908, 370.

See Boyce G. K., 1937. Corpus of the Lararia of Pompeii. Rome: MAAR 14. (p.59, no.230, and Pl.27,1)

See Fröhlich, T., 1991. Lararien und Fassadenbilder in den Vesuvstädten. Mainz: von Zabern. (L77, Picture 9,2 from the west and north walls)

 

VI.16.40 Pompeii. May 2003. Lararium on west wall. Photo courtesy of Nicolas Monteix.

VI.16.40 Pompeii. May 2003. Lararium on west wall. Photo courtesy of Nicolas Monteix.

 

VI.16.40 Pompeii. July 2008. Room G, corridor leading to latrine, looking north. Photo courtesy of Barry Hobson.

VI.16.40 Pompeii. July 2008. Room G, corridor leading to latrine, looking north.

Photo courtesy of Barry Hobson.

 

VI.16.40 Pompeii. July 2008. Latrine at north end of corridor G. Photo courtesy of Barry Hobson.

VI.16.40 Pompeii. July 2008. Latrine at north end of corridor G. Photo courtesy of Barry Hobson.

 

Terracotta lamp with images of Isis, Harpocrates and Anubis.  Found in VI.16.40. Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.

Terracotta lamp with images of Isis, Harpocrates and Anubis. Found in VI.16.40.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.